Tuesday, June 7, 2011

the act of publication

Every word I type, every turn of phrase or witticism I construct on my netbook screen can currently only be seen by me (and the ceiling cat).






At the end of my post-modern observations and critiques, I click the orange button in the bottom left corner of my screen labelled  "PUBLISH POST", and it becomes freely available to anybody and everybody.




There are over 2 billion people who use the internet. While only a minute proportion of those will ever reading my scribblings, I seem to forget that everything I write can be scrutinised by any one of those 2 billion people.


I don't think I fully comprehend the significance, or consequences of clicking that little button.




By this, I mean I am genuinely surprised when someone talks to me about something that I have blogged about, even though I know they read my blog.


Is this odd, or is this the post-modern norm? Why don't you ask me, and see if I freak out?

No comments:

Post a Comment